Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mark Jungers Comes to Minneapolis.....

Well....first off, let me apologize to Mark and Company for waiting so long to post this bit. I have no really good excuse, probably it has a lot to do with laziness and the dull drag of the summer....but, here goes...
In July, Mark Jungers and his fellers came to Minneapolis and played the 331 Club in that fair city. Mark is a terrific musician who reminded me a little of Steve Earle (who else?) and Jerry Jeff Walker other fellows who occupy big places in my musical heart. Mark's style is Americana, I hope I am getting that correct, and real easy to listen to while drinking a tall cool one. Okay, I don't do that anymore (they frown on that in AA) but it was still a grand evening, sitting in that little club, like lots of the ones I used to frequent a hundred years ago when I was working on little newspapers in Texas, and hearing music that has the sound of the Texas hill country. Growing up in that part of the world was the best thing that could happen to any Texas native, in my little opinion, and the 70s and 80s were the best time to be anywhere near Austin, Texas, or Bridgeport, Texas, or Gainesville, Texas....well, you get that line......
I was able to talk with Mark before their set began. As fate would have it, Mark and his lovely wife live right down the road from my Daddy and his wife, in the sparkling burg of Martindale, Texas. Small world....my Daddy had been telling me about Mark for months, but, it would seem he didn't mention that he had a daughter living in Minnesota. Fate would further have it that Mark is a native of this North Star State (Minnesota)....that, to me, is incredible. We changed places, I reckon, on the map (but I wish I still lived in Texas, Martindale or Tow or Muleshoe or Mission...sigh.
Mark was wonderful and it was all I could do to pull myself away from the club and drive back home. I really hope they get up here again, I've told some friends about his wonderful sound and they would like to be at his gig, too. Who wouldn't? He is really a grand singer.....
If you ever get a chance.......well, you know....I post pictures of Mark and Company from his web site. I never remember to take a camera with me....

No comments: